Saturday, May 05, 2012

Block printing

I carved a block one morning this week to add texture to some previously hand-dyed, flour-resist-designed fabric and for a bold statement on plain muslin. 

Before I print, I lay down a sheet of thin craft foam on my work space, then freezer paper on top of that, shiny side up.  The foam offers a little "give" for a good impression with the block.

When printing on a larger piece of fabric I sponge my textile paint onto the block and use the block as a stamp.  If it's a smaller piece of fabric, not much larger than the carved block, I first sponge paint onto the block, then lay the fabric onto the block and rub gently with my fingers to get all the detail of the design.
A bold block makes a graphic statement.

The "crackled" flour-resist, dyed, block-printed fabric above is part of a bird's egg series.